In 1954, an Irishman, after taking “a good swig” from a beer bottle, saw leprechauns all over the place. Unfortunately, the beer bottle contained not beer but a highly poisonous industrial chemical. He realized his mistake at once, drunk salt water and got some of it up. Nevertheless he was “deeply inebriated” and went into coma for 36 hours. Coming out of the coma he had paranoid delusions. That night he awoke in delirium and saw that the ward was its usual length, but only was about two feet high. “In response to my cries, a little nurse 12 inches high ran to my bed. I told her I was afraid, so she tried to reassure me and went away to get a hot drink. While she was away, other nurses came to bedside and were later followed by a doctor. They were all about 12 inches tall. I recognized all of them as the nurses and doctor I had seen before. The only other person besides myself who seemed the normal size was a patient in the bed next to mine. I was terribly afraid while all this was going on. They changed my shirt and gave me an injection. The next morning everything went back to its usual size.” Today, this disorienting neurological condition is known as Alice in Wonderland syndrome or lilliputian hallucinations.
There is a condition in which you think you hear a loud bang as you fall asleep when none exists. More unsettling is the name: Exploding Head Syndrome.
There exists a disorienting neurological condition called “Alice in Wonderland Syndrome”, whereby sufferers experience visual hallucinations of seeing things and people as smaller or larger than they actually are (“Lilliputian”).